Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Parts of Life

I get to experience city life here, although it's relatively low key. In other words, I rely on public transportation, live in an apartment building, and I'm within walking distance of stores, restaurants, and bars. It's nice to get to stuff just by walking. It's also nice to take the bus, just to throw some headphones on while waiting for the right number to show up, walking on and swiping the pre-paid card, and sitting for a little bit with no immediate responsibility or action required. There's also a minor pride in figuring out the bus routes and parts of town. I don't have it all down, but it already feels natural.

There's no clocking in or out, but there is showing up to do your part. Apparently taking a sick day is nearly unheard of. It's a cultural thing to show up to work through hell and high water. So, the temptation of calling in sick to take a 3 day weekend is one that I should always consider off limits.

There have been so many moments of unnecessary generosity. Getting off the bus today in the rain, standing under the bus stop for some quick shelter while I put my ipod away, a woman I didn't recognize offered to walk me to the school under her umbrella. Of course, I didn't know what she was saying to me, but I understood her body language well enough to accept. I guess she works at the school, maybe in administration.

And my Jocheon co-teacher giving me a box of tissues as a house-warming present. Not to mention the many other ways she has helped me settle into life here. She works really hard, it must be tough. She works hard at school all week, then goes to Seoul every weekend to study traditional Korean music. That's definitely her choice, but that's incredibly hectic to put on yourself. Dealing with crazy elementary kids all day, going to Seoul every weekend, lesson planning and grading, then repeating. I appreciate her a lot so far.

And Sue at Songdang giving me a ride every Thursday and Friday, taking me out to dinner, showing me sights. She's a little crazy in some ways, but she's occasionally hilarious and always very welcoming. She's also helped me many communicate on the phone with various Koreans, and I appreciate it every time.

I went with a group of friends to Monsters University this past Sunday, because it seemed like a nice rainy day activity. We had seen another English movie in the theater before, so it seemed like a good option. Waited around for half an hour, got some popcorn and a drink, finally settled down and watched the Pixar short (which had no dialogue). Then the movie started. And it was dubbed in Korean. That totally made sense in hindsight, because little kids who would enjoy the movie probably can't read subtitles, at least that quickly. So, we got out of there and got refunds. Except one of our friends who came late and had a separate seat from us. She didn't see us leave and didn't get our text messages. She sat through the whole thing. Which I still can't believe. Hilarious.

I won the equivalent of $0.90 at a horse race. Lucky number 8 came in 3rd place, so I won big. At the horse track, they also had fun family activities going on. This included a weird version of golf that used one club and a tennis ball sized hard ball. At one point there were a bunch of older Koreans watching me and my friends play. I was near the hole on one of them, and I hopped over the ball and swung the golf club between my legs while mid-air. I got the ball in the hole, and the Koreans flipped out. I got thumbs ups and was told that I was the champion. It was amazing.

Looking forward to specific things makes the week go by slower. But the week still goes by. If only I can find ways to have fun while teaching! It's not impossible. Learning how to do it. Sometimes it is fun. Planning on things being fun and then the kids not responding is a little depressing, though. Finding that balance still.

Walked through the hall yesterday and a stray little Korean boy gave me a huge smile followed by a hug. At Songdang, on my 2nd real day there, a group of 2nd grade girls all repeatedly said, "Nice to meet you! Nice to meet you! Nice to meet you!" while hugging me. And the kids calling me Lion because they can barely pronounce the "R" sound. Being called "Lion King" daily is pretty cute.

Drinking coffee to wake up in the morning, drinking coffee to get energized during the day, drinking a bunch of water to counteract the coffee, drinking beer to celebrate the school day finishing, not sleeping well presumably because of drinking too much coffee or thinking too much, then repeating the cycle.

The songs that I sing to myself lately:

http://youtu.be/AsWSdr_yG-U

http://youtu.be/2gwrjAKnYhQ

http://youtu.be/nyxUS_KnhfE

No comments:

Post a Comment